Monday, January 5, 2009

Babyfood-a-thon

I made zucchini and roasted sweet potatoes for my little munchkin. The zucchini turned out a very pretty colour and I was excited for him to try it. He doesn't like it as much as I do. Oh well. We will try it again but maybe I will mix it with some apple or pear or something else a little more sweet. The sweet potato we will try tomorrow.
Zucchini Puree

I used a small bag of organic zucchini, maybe 1lb worth. It's the methods that matter in this one, not the amount you use.


  • preheat a large pan that has a lid on medium heat

  • wash and trim the zucchini, slice it in to 1 inch rounds

  • try to fit the rounds in to just one or two layers in the pan

  • add a splash of water (just to get some steam going) and put the lid on

  • stir the zucchini a few times

  • after about 8-10 minutes the zucchini should be soft

  • transfer the zucchini and any liquid left in the pan to a blender or food processor and blend until desired consistency.

  • use in three days or freeze in ice cube trays and transfer cubes to a freezer bag for 3 months

I think that if you had a vegetable steamer you could use that instead. I needed the steaming water to make the puree really smooth as my baby is new to solids. You could add less liquid if your baby is used to some textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment