Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Lactation Cookies

Ingredients
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 tablespoons water
4 tablespoons ground flax seed
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats (not quick)
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup raisins
4 tablespoons brewer's yeast


Preheat oven to 350°.
Mix the flax seed meal and water and let sit for 5 minutes.
Beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar well.
Add eggs one at a time and mix well.
Add flax seed mix and vanilla.
Mix together flour, brewers yeast, baking soda, and salt in a separate bowl.
Add dry ingredients to butter mix.
Stir in oats, raisins and chips.
Scoop onto baking sheet.
Bake for 10-12 minutes

So what makes these "lactation cookies" anyway? Well I think it is the nutrient dense ingredients that work together to help out the boobies do their thing. I think we tend to neglect some basic dietary needs when looking after our little ones and our supply can tank because of it. Now I am not a doctor or lactation expert but I have read a few things and I can put 1 and 1 together.

After a few days away from my little guy I noticed a big dip in my supply. I made a big batch of these (with a few adjustments) and have been snacking on them since. I'm not 100% sure that they have made a difference but I do feel pretty good eating these tasty treats.

My adjustments, by the way, were that I cleaned out the fridge a little when making them. I added a cup of walnuts and about a cup of yogurt to the mix and I chopped up the last few dried apricots that I had in the pantry and tossed them in too. Instead of scooping the cookies out I pressed the batter into a large glass baking dish, lowered the temperature to 325 and let it bake for about 25 minutes. Basically until it was golden brown and firm looking. After cooling I cut them into squares. Just seemed easier to me and faster.

Brewer's Yeast: really high in B vitamins, folic acid and Chromium. Active ingredient in beer making, maybe the reason why it is sometimes recommended for women to drink dark beer to help their supply too.
Oats: B Vitamins
Flax seeds: Omega 3 Fatty acids!
Raisins: High in iron and tasty!
Chocolate: Releases endorphins supposed to help with let down and who doesn't need a little chocolate?

No comments:

Post a Comment