Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tacos or How to be sneaky with the veggies.

Tacos are always a favourite at our house. The ones I made last night were tasty. I'm not a fan of the taco seasoning packages so I always play around with the seasonings from our pantry. I am liking how this concoction is tasting :)

Taco Meat

1 lb of ground meat (I have used turkey, beef, buffalo and pork)
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 tbsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp chili flakes (more or less depending on your taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup of salsa

Saute onions in medium sized pan, add the ground meat and garlic. Cook through. Drain any fat.
Add all the dried herbs and spices and then the salsa. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, grated cheese, green onions, salsa and or sour cream. We like the hard shells but if you use soft ones I won't judge you.

I also like to clean out my fridge in to the meat if that makes any sense. If I have peppers or tomatoes that need to be used up I will dice them up and pop it in the meat. Plus its a good way to get some veggies in your meal if you have someone who isn't a big veggie eater. Frozen spinach is also really easy to put in without drawing any attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment