Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Baby Pork and Apples

I had a few tips from some pork tenderloins in the freezer that I was saving for a stirfry or something. I decided it was time to make some meat for my little 8 monther. >sob<

So I had about 1/3 cup of pork. I had already trimmed it off fat so I just sliced it into thin pieces. I also peeled, cored and chopped an apple.
Put them together in a pot and stir. I had the heat about medium but turned it down and put the lid on for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. I wanted to steam the apple.
When the apple was soft and the pork cooked through, I took it off the heat and let it cool.
I popped it all in the blender and tried to puree the mixture. This was tough as it was less than a cup of food. Eventually I got it to a pretty smooth consistency.

When I tried feeding it the first time it was not a hit! It kind of reminds me of cat food. I tried offering some more at dinner but this time I mixed in a cube of the acorn squash/pear in to about 3 tbsp of the pork/apple. He ate it all up like nobodies business.
I will try again tomorrow with a little less fruit and a little more meat. I also may saute a little bit of onion and mix it in too.

I also think I am going to buy a food mill. It should make baby food making easier when trying to do small batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment