Friday, July 17, 2009

Seafood - Howth, Ireland


During my brief visit to Ireland, we left the hustle and bustle of Dublin's Temple bar for the coastal town of Howth and their seafood. We strolled up the pier taking in the sights and smells from the restaurants and cafes. It was a difficult decision as each place had a unique look and menu. We settled on the Oar House http://www.oarhouse.ie/ .


The menu looked fantastic, and the smells coming from the kitchen were amazing. I wasn't feeling over adventurous so I figured I'd stick to the tried and true (it would also give me something to compare against).


We ordered the Calamari to start. Then for a starter I had the steamed mussels and my friend had the Chowder. For mains we both had the fish and chips.


The crispy Calamari came on a nice white rectangle plate, neatly presented, with two dipping sauces. It was perfectly cooked and the sauces (plumb and tatziki) complemented nicely.


Next, a large bowl of chowder and a huge plate of steamed mussels. I was a bit surprised as I ordered the tapas size (I wonder what the large bowl looks like). The mussels were fantastic. I assume the chowder was too since it didn't last long.


Lastly was the fish and chips. These again, were presented cleanly on a square wood plate and were perfectly cooked and I must say, came with the best mushy peas I have ever had.


All in all, a great dining experience. The service was exceptional and a nice treat on a lazy afternoon.


The Oar House is highly recommended if you ever get to Howth.


(my only minor complaint was a server grabbed our bread after the starter so neither of us had any to get the last bits of mussel sauce or chowder...oh well...I guess we could have just asked for more ;-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment